Approved by the University Council 1 October 2020
- The policy of the University of Iceland is to guarantee a safe and hygienic working environment for staff and students.
- The University of Iceland aims to be an accident-free workplace and to ensure that nobody's health suffers as a result of working or studying at the University.
- Laws governing conditions, hygiene, and health and safety in the workplace form the foundation of a safe working environment and efforts are made to minimise risk and potential hazards on the University campus.
- The University aims to promote a strong health and safety culture among staff and students in all aspects of its operations, thereby leading the way in raising awareness of health and safety in Icelandic society.
- Staff and students should set a good example for others. They are obliged to take care of their own health and safety and ensure that no University operations cause harm or discomfort, whether on or off campus.
- It is the duty of staff and students to draw attention to areas for improvement, because only through continuous reform, dialogue and universal participation can the University's policy achieve its intended goals.