120 ECTS - MS degree
Industrial biotechnology is an interdisciplinary master’s program within the field of biology, chemistry, pharmaceutical science and engineering. The program is aimed towards the increased need of specialized staff, trained in biotechnical methods.
Foundation of biotechnology
Students with diverse background within natural sciences are encouraged to apply. The program runs in collaboration with companies from the biotech industry and the University of Iceland where students will conduct research projects within Icelandic companies or academia.
The program has a broad theoretical approach and is interdisciplinary in nature. The aim of studies is to give a broad but focused view on topics and methods within the biological industry such as:
• Cellular biology
• Protein chemistry
• Protein purification and upscaling
• Pharmaceutical biotechnology
• Production processing in biotechnology.
• Chemical analysis.
- BS degree in health sciences, engineering, chemistry, biology or related fields with an average grade of 6,5 or higher (on the scale of 1-10). Applicants may be required to complete basic courses in life sciences (genetics, cell biology and biochemistry).
- All international applicants, whose native language is not English, are required to provide results of the TOEFL (79) or IELTS (6.5) tests as evidence of English proficiency.
- Applicants are asked to submit a letter of motivation, 1-2 pages, in English, where they should discusss their background relevant to this programme and state the reasons why they want to pursue graduate work in the field of industrial biotechnology. Applicants schould also discuss their future plans and goals, as well as suggesting a possible field for their research project.
- Confidential letters of recommendation (2) should be submitted. These should be from faculty members or others who are familiar with the academic work of the applicant and qualified to evaluate his/her potential for graduate studies.
Area of work
Internationally, a predictable shortage of employees with life-science background gives a bright future for a graduate program such as industrial biotechnology. Students with a masters degree in industrial biotechnology are highly sought employees within biotech companies such as Alvotech, Decode, ORF genetics, Benecta, Kerecis, Zymetech, Algalíf and Matís
Eligibility for further studies
The program can provide entrance to doctoral studies within various areas of natural sciences.