Students at the University of Iceland may apply for an Erasmus+ grant to fund traineeships or research work in European companies or institutes. The stay must be between two and twelve months. It is also possible to pursue a traineeship up to twelve months after completing a degree, but note that the application must be submitted before graduation from the University of Iceland.
Travel and maintenance grants are available. Grant sums are determined by destination, but travel grants are between EUR 275-1100 and maintanence grants are between EUR 650-750 a month.
The annual application deadline is 1 March. Applications submitted after the deadline will be accepted, but those who apply before 1 March will be given priority.
Who can apply for a grant (list not exhaustive):
- Students may apply for a grant to fund internships at a company or institute operating in a field relating to their studies
- Students in research-based Master's programmes may apply for a grant to fund work on their final project at a research institute - More information
- Doctoral students may apply for a grant to fund research work abroad - More information
- Students in the health sciences may apply for a grant to fund clinical training at a healthcare institution
There is no requirement for an institutional agreement between the University of Iceland and the host institute (company, university or institute). Traineeships must be related to the applicant's studies and will be evaluated as part of study at UI, either conferring credits or an entry in the diploma supplement. Those who pursue traineeships after graduation may receive a certificate supplement confirming the education (Europass).
Students may also apply for an Erasmus+ Disability Grant.
Application process and documentation:
1. The student obtains a conditional offer for a traineeship. Students may contact the institute themselves or apply for an advertised position (see advertisements and search pages below).
2. The student fills in an electronic application.
Erasmus application 2017-2018
3. The student fills in a Learning agreement for traineeship. The agreement must be printed out and signed by a representative of the faculty/subject/supervisor, as well as the faculty international relations officer. A signature must also be obtained from the host institute.
Learning agreement for traineeships
4. Transcript of records with rankings in English from current studies – may be obtained from the Service Desk in the University Centre.