World class research is conducted at the Faculty of Medicine. Scientists of the Faculty are in good collaboration with both Icelandic and international experts and their research findings are frequently published in internationally renowned journals.
Each year the Faculty graduates a number of PhD students from various fields of study, for example public health sciences, biomedical sciences and medical sciences. See here a list of PhD students graduated by year (in Icelandic).
Six independent research institutions operate within The Faculty of Medicine:
- Biomedical Center
- Cancer Research Laboratory
- Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Institution of Physiology (in Icelandic)
- Keldur – Institute for Experimental Pathology, University of Iceland
- Research Institution of Movement Sciences (in Icelandic)