University of Iceland

Registration and student permit

According to law all international students must register in Iceland or apply for a student permit depending on citizenship. Students with citizenship outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or European Free Trade Association (EFTA) must apply for a student permit before arrival and be granted an approval from the Directorate of Immigration before traveling to Iceland. EEA/EFTA citizens must register in Iceland according to the duration of stay.

A list of EEA/EFTA countries

Follow the information depending on your citizenship


Registration to Iceland - Video

More pre-orientation videos

Working in Iceland

Þú ert að nota: