- The role of the Árni Magnússon Institute for Icelandic Studies is to conduct research on Icelandic Studies and related scholarly topics, especially in the field of Icelandic language and literature, disseminate knowledge in these fields and preserve and augment the collections within its care.
- The research facility is the workplace for lecturers in biochemistry, pathological biochemistry and medical genetics at the Faculty of Medicine.
- The Centre for Children and Family Research has the objective to strengthen family research within the field of social work. Family research deals with communication and interaction in families, and involves all age groups and times of life.
Centre for Childhood and Youth Studies (BÆR) (in Icelandic only)
- A research, service and public education institution, which e.g. is a venue for inter-disciplinary collaboration on the subject of ethics.
Centre for Research into Challenges Facing Children and Young People (in Icelandic only)
Centre for Research on Diversity and Gender (In Icelandic only)
- A forum for research and education in the studies of human rights and discrimination; and equality, gender and diversity studies in a broad sense.
- A venue for research and development in academic subjects within humanities. The centre provides participating institutions and scholars with service and assistance with projects related to research, organises conferences and seminars and releases academic publications.
- The objective of the research centre is to strengthen research and education in small state studies.
- An institute for research, education and service within odontology and related subjects, pursued at the Faculty of Odontology.
- The Earthquake Engineering Research Centre in Selfoss, attend to inter-disciplinary research into the nature and effects of earthquakes.
An interdisciplinary Center of Excellence in critical contemporary research, with emphasis on (in)equality and difference; the welfare state; societal transitions and transnational politics; and security and development.
- The Institute conducts research and provides advice and services with the aim of strengthening research in the field of education and related fields.
Engineering Research Institute (no website)
- Research and development in the field of technical and practical sciences.
Genetical Committee at the University of Iceland (in Icelandic)
The mission of the Genetical Committee is:
- to reinforce genetic research at the University of Iceland, Landspitali – National University Hospital of Iceland and elsewhere,
- to maintain and operate the committees database on geneaology,
- to provide services in the field of genealogy and genetics, including genetic counseling,
- to strengthen relationships within and outside of the University and with industry and society.
- Research and development (of models and software) on the organisation of behaviour in human interaction.
Historical Institute (in Icelandic only)
- Attends to research in history and organises conferences, courses, lectures and any other enterprise that introduces history to the general public.
The Icelandic Cancer Society's Molecular and Cell Biology Research Laboratory (in Icelandic only)
- Research that increases knowledge and understanding of the nature of cancer.
- The Icelandic Centre for Language Technology is venue where the University of Iceland Institute of Linguistics, the Árni Magnússon Institute for Icelandic Studies and the School of Computer Science at Reykjavík University collaborate on research and development in language technology.
The Icelandic Language Institute
- The main tasks are research and diagnosis of diseases in animals, and production of vaccines to prevent ovine diseases.
- A venue for discussion, research and education in Public Administration.The main role of the Institute for Public Administration and Politics is to strengthen teaching and research into the administration of public institutions, both on governmental and local authority levels.
- The main role of the institute is two-fold: to encourage research and colleaboration on various aspects of sustainable development, and to be a venue for inter-disciplinary research for university lecturers and scholars.
- Boosts research and teaching in biology in Iceland. Furthermore, the institute attends to research in practical aspects of biology.
Institute of Business Research (in Icelandic)
- A venue to conduct and coordinate research and present research findings. The institute also forms bonds between the faculty and external parties, through research service, consultancy and reports on Business Administration and related subjects.
- Attends to research and teaching in the field of earth sciences, focusing on geological conditions in Iceland and surroundings.
- Research in economics, collection of information and knowledge of the Icelandic national economy.
- Attends to research and education on topics related to Asia.
- A venue for research and teaching on international affairs.
The Institute of Lexicography
The Institute of Linguistics (in Icelandic only)
- Basic research in Icelandic and general linguistics.
- Teaching and research on Icelandic literature and general literary studies.
- The centre shall strengthen the ties between research and teaching, and coordinate research in nursing and midwifery at the University of Iceland.
The Institute of Philosophy (in Icelandic only)
- Conducts research in philosophy and provides advice on teaching, syllabus and examinations in philosophy in Icelandic schools. The institute furthermore releases publications on philosophical topics.
The Institute of Physiology (in Icelandic)
- Provides research facilities for all tenured lecturers in physiology at the University of Iceland. The board of the institute can also, if facilities and funding allow, award facilities to scholars in other fields.
- A research, service and educational institution in the field of theology and related disciplines that are taught at the Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies.
- An academic institution for research and teaching in law and related subjects.
- Cooperates closely with the Institute of Biology on research on Mývatn and its surroundings.
- A joint Nordic institution that is responsible for conducting research in volcanology, focusing on petrology, geochemistry, geophysics and volcanic history.
The Nursing Research (in Icelandic)
The Place-Name Institute of the National Museum of Iceland
Research Centre for Movement Sciences (in Icelandic)
- The Research Centre for Occupational Health and Working Life (RIV) is an academic institution for research and public education, operated jointly by the Administration of Occupational Safety and Health and the University of Iceland.
Research Centre for Preventive Medicine (no website available)
- The centre is a research venue for lecturers in epidemiology and preventive medicine.
Research Centre for Sport and Health Sciences (in Icelandic)
Research Institute for Pharmaceutical Outcomes and Policy (in Icelandic)
- Gathering and dissemination of knowledge in the field of women's, gender and equality research.
- The Science Institute is a venue for base research in empirical sciences.
Sigurður Nordal Institute
- Attends to publication in the field of social science and applied and theoretical research in social science.
- Attends to research into legal aspects of human rights; publishes research findings and supports teaching in this field.
- Environmental and ecological research on hot-springs.
- A University of Iceland branch in Vestmannaeyjar. Focuses on research and research degrees in natural sciences and subjects related to the professional sector in Vestmannaeyjar.
- An institute for research on foreign languages. Research fields include: linguistics, literature and cultural studies; the applicability of foreign languages in the professional sector; teaching of foreign languages; translations. The institute attends to publication of works on these topics, and consultancy on the aforementioned scholarly fields.