Environment and Natural Resources, PhD, 180 ECTS
A three year theoretical and practical research-based postgraduate programme of studies, qualifying for the degree of philosophiae doctor, Ph.D. Admission requirements are a MS or MA degree in Environment and Natural Resources from the University of Iceland with a minimum average grade of 7.25, or an equivalent degree from an other University with a minimum grade of 7.25. The doctoral programme is primarily based on the doctoral candidate's independent research, culminating in the doctoral dissertation.
The applications for the University of Iceland are all electronic. The deadline for international students to apply for graduate studies is February 1st each year. An online application form is available on the appropriate pages when applications are being accepted.
The following documents must accompany the application:
- Officially certified copy (not scanned copies or photocopies) of previous university degree/s in original language.
- Officially certified transcript (not scanned copies or photocopies) of university degree/s and diploma supplement (if applicable) in English.
- Explanation of grading system of University degree/s in English (applicable if a degree is not from an Icelandic university).
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Proof of English language proficiency, e.g. official language test score (TOEFL, IELTS), previous degree completed in English, and/or confirmation of academic English. Please find more information about English Language Proficiency Requirement here.
- Names and addresses of 2-3 persons to whom you have sent the reference form (Reference form (.pdf)). At least two should be qualified through personal experience to judge your academic performance and potential for advanced study. Your referee should also give a short evaluation (1-2 pages A4) of your personal traits and abilities. The completed reference should be sent directly by the referee to:
- A short description of your motivation for applying for this programme (1-2 pages A4). State the reasons why you want to pursue graduate work in the field of environmental science and natural resource management, the issues and problems you want to address, and your professional goals. Briefly describe why you choose the University of Iceland.
- Information regarding your academic supervisors for the PhD (doctoral committee).
Research proposal. Including:
a) Aim (approx. ½ p.)
b) Scientific background, state of the art and scientific value of the project (2-4 p.)
c) Project design (methods) (2-3 p.)
d) Timeframe and study plan (1/2-1 p.)
e) Specific goals (scientific papers expected from the project) (1/2-1 p.)
- Financial arrangements (Applying for scholarships, sponsored by employer, or other, please specify).